Saturday, December 27, 2008

Two Days After

December 27--two days out from the big day. The little tree looks lonely now with all the gifts opened, played with, and otherwise dispersed among the toybox. I looked up at the tree this morning and spotted an ornament that Leigh has had since she made it in first grade. It's a sled made from popsicle sticks painted red with the words Merry Christmas 1981 and her name in silver paint. I am sure she had more than a little help from her first grade teacher. The sled has survived many Christmases, many moves, many trees and still it serves to remind us of those wonderful memories from long ago.

Now it's time for football, football and more football. Thank goodness we get a break tonight with a hockey game. Sports rule in this house and after 11 and a half years of marriage I have learned to at least like most of them. Hockey has always been a favorite of mine since my dad and I would watch as I was growing up. The Stars are looking better--let's hope they can keep up the momentum that might carry them into a playoff.

I am looking forward to another week of rest and relaxation! This has been the best winter break we've had in a long time. It is almost impossible to believe that almost half a school year has passed and we're about to start second semester. The library has been growing quickly thanks to an outstanding budget from the district and a lot of time spent meeting with vendors and purchasing a variety of fiction and nonfiction books. I was reminded this morning, when reading my friend Kristen's blog, about a special book that I had purchased for Freeman a few years back. I immediately went to one of my vendor's websites to order it for La Villita. My prekindergarten classes will love The Big Red Tub.

No comments: