Sunday, June 20, 2010

Conquering Heroine?

Wow! One week, two days and the glucose meter is not looking like such a formidable machine any longer. After days of sticking with no results, I finally got all the bugs worked out and actually got a reading. If you've never used a meter before, there are a few things to consider. Don't think that intuition will guide you through. What you think will work doesn't. Follow the directions to the letter. My meter requires 1.0 micro-liters of blood, which I am happy to say the American Diabetes Association actually pictures. It is about the size of a the top of a straight pin, not the point. My first couple of attempts I tried to drop the blood onto the strip--no go. After coaxing the appropriate amount of blood to the surface, you bring the test strip to the blood and gently let it flow onto the strip. It's fun to watch actually. The channel fills quickly and in five seconds you have results. So simple, despite all my worries.

Now I just have to learn what it all means. I think I'll celebrate with a pedicure tomorrow!

No comments: