Monday, June 14, 2010

Sweet Ride

Friday, June 11, 2010, is a day that will forever change me. My journey has become somewhat more complicated and I've spent the last 48 hours pondering how I will manage it. On Friday, I learned that I have Type II diabetes which brings with it the codependent issue of high blood pressure. I knew my sedentary lifestyle--thanks computer--would catch up with me. It has and now everything must change if I am to do well with controlling this illness. I've decided to write about it, describing the emotions and the physical implications.

Let's begin with the glucose monitor. You would think a woman with two masters degrees would have no trouble mastering the tiny meter. Three days later I am still learning the ropes. What's the big deal, shouldn't everyone love sticking themselves several times a day?

Taking two medications is freaking me out a bit. I don't like taking advil for a headache. About the only thing I have taken regularly over the last thirty years is a multi vitamnin. I am taking metformin, the generic form of glucophage. Its purpose is to lower my blood sugar--in conjunction, of course, with a proper diet and exercise. The other med is lisinopril for high blood pressure. So far neither medication is having an adverse effect, although I've found already if I don't eat enough before taking the metformin and then try to exercise I find myself lightheaded.

I am not having difficulty with the diet part. I understand I have to cut back on carbs, which is really okay with me--except for one thing. I like potatoes--any way, shape or form--so cutting them out or even cutting back is difficult. I love chicken, fish and seafood, so choosing them as a lower calorie protein is easy for me--so long as they hold out, considering the mess in the Gulf. That's a really sad state of affairs which I'll probably address in another blog. I also love low carb veggies like cauliflower, brussel sprouts and broccoli.

I've reinstated my walking routine, which was temporarily on hold due to my knee acting up. It's feeling better, so I am trying to get out before the Texas heat takes over. It was 80 degrees when I walked at 9 AM this morning. Waiting any later than that puts the whole plan into jeopardy--as I tend to wilt in the heat. Can't wait for those cool summer morning in Scranton or elsewhere in the northeast. Eric has talked me into going back to the weight machine, and I will do that in about 3-4 weeks. Our vacation is coming up and I can't see starting before we leave.

More to come...

1 comment:

The Trost's said...

I am glad you are writing about this unwanted chapter in your life. I know it always helps me to talk or write about the things that aren't necessarily the best things that could happen. You will be in my thoughts Gayle.