Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Authors We Love Have Blogs

I love Judy Blume--okay, maybe that's a little over the top. I don't even know Judy Blume, but I do know her writing and have been recommending it to kids since I started teaching in the early 1970's. I think my daughter Leigh read every book ever written by Judy Blume. She loved them too. It's 2008, almost 40 years since Judy wrote her first book, Are You there God? It's Me Margaret, but my elementary students still clamor to check out Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, Fudge, or Superfudge. Her writing and understanding, particularly of adolescent girls is timeless and marvelous.

I discovered today, while helping a student research Judy Blume for an authors' book, that Judy has a blog--imagine that, just like me she writes in her blog as often as she can. Somehow, I feel closer to her now, and closer to my own goal of publishing someday. In her most recent blog, she discusses being a hockey mom , like a certain other newly famous female. Judy says some of the same things in her blog that I said just a few days ago in mine, only she says them infinitely better than I did. Don't believe me, read for yourself. Read her September 7 entry, Hockey Mom.

1 comment:

Meredith Braaten, CD(DONA) said...

Oh Gayle, JB is my absolute favorite too. I'm sure I read everyone of her books and more than once. I even love her few adult ones. Thanks for sharing her blog!!