Friday, January 2, 2009

Do you ever wonder?

...why we make the choices we do? What is the catalyst that pushes us in one direction or another?
I've recently become quite active on my Facebook account. Why not? I was home for two weeks, plenty of time to catch up with old friends, see family photos and check in with my alumni groups. So, pretty much all week I've been doing just that. Today, it dawned on me that I could probably find one or two genealogy groups to join, so I began a search and joined a few of them. As I continued the genealogy search, I found several names of a people who were family researchers too. One was from my hometown, was close to my age, does genealogy research and shares my birthday of January 7. So, I took a chance and sent her a friend request. After all, friends have been made for lesser reasons. She wrote on my wall, I wrote on her wall, you know how it goes, then we started emailing. By the end of this evening we were both amazed at the low number of degrees of separation. It started with her grandson dating a second cousin of mine, continued with her daughters attending the school district where I taught Then there was the fact they had lived in Texas for four years, but the clincher was when she mentioned her sister's husband whom she thought I might know because we grew up in the same neighborhood. Well, not only did I know him, I lived across the street from him and he was my second cousin. Small world, you say--we said it, over and over again as we marveled about how we met because I took a chance on Facebook to ask a "stranger" to be a friend. Moral of this story--sometimes we lead with intuition or heart as some people call it. We are impelled to make choices that are not necessarily based on reason and sometimes those choices are the best possible ones we could have made.

No comments: