Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Ice Days

That's right, in Texas, it is usually an ice day, not a snow day. My eastern friends would laugh to see school called for such a little precipitation. When I taught at Waverly School (Northeastern Pennsylvania) in the seventies and eighties, you had to be wading knee deep in snow before school would be called. Here in Texas, we never get those kind of snow falls, but we do get ice. Give me snow any day. You can be somewhat in control of your car on snow, but not ice. With all our bridges and overpasses here, I don't think that ice is going to melt all day today. In fact, Channel 8, the ABC affiliate just reported that it is melting when treated but then is refreezing--imagine that. Maybe what they are using to treat is NOT working the way it should.

Personally, I am glad they called school off today. I know some of my friends would rather have that extra spring day, but I prefer to stay safe and warm at home today, instead of on the road with some crazy drivers. I hope it melts by mid afternoon as I have to get to the grocery store to buy some treats for our Bluebonnet voting party on Thursday.

It's official! There were over 700 accidents in Dallas just during the morning rush on Wednesday, January 28, 2009.

1 comment:

powellsa74 said...

I am one of those "sad" ones...although I agree that I would not have wanted to drive in that ice!